Monday, March 4, 2013

Product review: Wet n Wild Mega Plump Waterproof Mascara

I bought this mascara some time ago as part of a mini Wet n Wild haul and just never got around to reviewing it, so I thought I should finally post something up for you guys to read. This appears to be a repackaging of the old Mega Plump mascara, which I did use before, so let's see how the old vs. the new stack up and what I thought of this new product overall!

The product: Wet n Wild Mega Plump Waterproof Mascara; $3.99 at drugstores

The claim: Instant drama. Fuller and thicker lashes for up to 3X the volume in a waterproof formula.




I tried it: First, allow me to tell you that I genuinely liked the old formula. It was cheap, it stayed put, and although I dislike the traditional spoolie wand--I find that I need to use a lash comb more often with this type of wand--for $4, I thought it did a pretty decent job.

So, when I saw that Wet n Wild had repackaged my old red tube into a new design, I was a little apprehensive that the formula may have been changed as well. My fears weren't unfounded. Here are the pros and cons of this mascara:

On the good side, it doesn't clump. At all. Ever. I can literally do twenty strokes without a lash comb. I know somewhere out there one of you is sitting at your computer screen screaming "LIAR!" but it's the honest truth. It also does a decent job of staying put. Annnnd...that's about all the good I have to say.

The bad: the name and description of this mascara is as close to an all-out lie as I've ever seen. There's nothing remotely thickening or plumping about it; in fact, it applies less like a mascara and more like a lash tint. A few strokes of the spoolie doesn't even register on my lashes. About that twenty strokes: yep, that's about how much it takes before I feel like you can see any sort of "thickening" effect.

My verdict: Now you know why I didn't snap a picture of my lashes: there's nothing to show! As a waterproof tint for the most natural look, it's a great product; and if you have very pale lashes or just like tints in general, this is a great cheapie pick. But quite frankly, if I'm going to swipe something on that says "mega plump", especially if it requires makeup remover at the end of the day, it had darn well better do as advertised...and this formula assuredly does not. I'll use up this tube but I won't buy it again.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for a good, honest review! I actually am considering it as a lash tint now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a lash tint for the summer it'd be great, because you wouldn't have to worry about it running down your face when you sweat. Just be prepared to really layer it on! :D

      Delete
  2. I try so many mascaras. Thanks for the review. Hello, from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review and for your honesty! :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, so fire away with your comments! If you link to me or have a blog of your own please leave me your link so I can visit you, too--I love catching up with my fellow bloggers! Please note though that I do not do "follow for follow". If I really like your blog I'll follow you. :)

I try to reply to all blog comments within a couple of days and I will e-mail you a reply unless you are a 'no-reply' blogger. If you're not getting personal replies...check your blog settings and make sure your e-mail addy is visible so I can reply to you! You can also e-mail or tweet me with your questions and comments! Have a lovely day!